After a lot of work, Backpack\CRUD has finally reached the 3.3 milestone.
There have been A LOT of changes, but we've managed to keep it as backwards-compatible as possible. We won't mention the countless bug fixes here, just the new stuff you should know you can now do with Backpack.
New Features - Backpack/Base 0.8.1
- Logged in users can change their personal information (name, email).
- Logged in users can change their passwords.
backpack_url()helper. It returns the administration URLs prefixed by the configured string, so you don't have to use the config value manually every time.
- The logged in user image is no longer a placeholder by default, but the user's image (if they have ever configured a gravatar for that email, or uses a service that has done that for him). For most users, this will look like magic - Backpack will seemingly pick up the user's profile image, without any input. This should make them feel more comfortable inside the Admin Panel - it has been proven that user images are a very good UX improvement in such use cases. You can of disable this "gravatar" behaviour in the base config file, or use any other method on your
- Design facelift (introducing overlays that make the admin panel customizable and designs shareable; first overlay is called "Bold" and looks awesome, we think);
backpack_avatar_url()helper; just like backpack_url(), but points to the user's avatar;
New Features - Backpack/CRUD 3.3.1
- All tables are now AjaxDataTables. Millions of entries should be no problem, for any CRUD.
- We fixed all bugs regarding AjaxDataTables (I know, right?!).
- You can now define a "key" for a column, if you need multiple columns with the same name. Details here.
- You can make columns unorderable by specifying
'orderable' => falsewhen you define them.
- You can make columns unsearchable by specifying
'searchLogic' => falsewhen you define them.
- You can customize how a column is searched by defining a closure in the
searchLogicattribute. This will help you create search logic even for previously-impossible columns, such as
model_function_attribute. Details here.
- AjaxDataTables (aka all tables now) that use
select_multiplecolumns will automatically search within the connected entities. This previously manual and boring task is now automatic.
- In create/update forms that use TABS, fields with no tab defined will be displayed on top.
How to use
A) For new projects - if you've installed Backpack after November 6th 2017, you're already using it;
B) For old projects - please follow the upgrade guide;